Why a high-protein diet is important to you
How important are proteins for humans?
Proteins are the building blocks of the body. Metabolism, regeneration, cell growth and cell renewal are not possible without them. Protein is the foundation and basis for life on our planet. Man needs them as much as air and water. Protein is made up of a series of amino acids that are divided into two types: replaceable (which the body can synthesize itself) and essential (which must be constantly replenished through supplementation).
The function of proteins in the human body
- Protective. When harmful foreign microorganisms enter the body, special proteins called antibodies are produced which successfully neutralize them.
- Regulatory. This function is related to the protein’s ability to speed up metabolism in cells.
- Transport. Consists in the property of blood proteins to transport oxygen from the lungs to all organs and tissues of the body.
- Catalytic. Enzymes increase the speed of biochemical reactions in cells.
- Motor. Certain proteins help the body move by contracting muscles.
- Structural. Protein’s most basic function, which ensures normal hair, bone and muscle growth, prevents the development of dystrophy.
Foods that are rich in protein
Depending on their origin, proteins are divided into vegetable and animal proteins. Protein of animal origin is most useful because its composition is more similar to that of human body cells. However, these products can be dangerous. Animal proteins often contain harmful substances such as fat and cholesterol, which cause obesity and diseases of the internal organs. Poultry and fish are considered the safest animal products. Vegetable proteins, on the other hand, contain neither cholesterol nor fat. But these foods are much lower in protein than animal foods.
The role of protein in an athlete’s diet
Creating a proper meal plan is key to a lean and muscular body. Protein plays an important role in nutrition. The right amount of protein is crucial for gaining or losing weight. Nutrition plays an important role in your weekly exercise routine. After a visit to the gym, there’s a period of time called the protein-carb window. For an hour after a strenuous workout, your body has the greatest need for energy recovery. For those looking to lose weight, it’s a good idea to skip a post-workout snack. In this way, the body begins to burn unwanted fat to replenish energy reserves. On the contrary, to increase muscle mass, it is necessary to eat protein-containing foods within 30-60 minutes.
What foods are the highest in protein?
- When planning your meal plan, it’s important to know that the protein content of all foods varies.
- Lean meats are the frontrunners in the ranking of the most protein-rich foods. Poultry meat such as chicken and turkey is particularly suitable due to its low fat content. Rabbit and deer meat are no less nutritious. With beef, it’s important not to overdo it because it’s high in fat and cholesterol.
- Seafood, fish have more protein than dairy products. In addition, seafood is rich in useful amino acids and substances, calcium, magnesium and vitamin E. Tuna, salmon fillets, mackerel, mullet, shrimp, squid, anchovies and sardines are recommended.
- Low-fat cottage cheese is useful right after training, but a non-fat product should be preferred. In this case, it will not harm the figure and will contribute to weight loss.
- Soybeans, broccoli, green peas, lentils, chickpeas, asparagus, spinach – in addition to proteins, they all contain a lot of vitamins and fiber, which has a positive effect affect digestion. Soybeans in particular should be highlighted as a red meat substitute.
- Fruit serves as a source of micronutrients that help the body function properly. Some of the highest protein fruits are apricots, avocados, kiwis, bananas, dates and figs. Try dried fruit as they contain the right amount of protein.
- Two eggs can contain up to 10 grams of protein.
- Nuts are good for the nervous system and contain the saturated fats needed for mental activity. Eating a handful of nuts every day can prevent a number of diseases and avoid the effects of stress.
- When preparing your menu, remember that the food should be healthy and balanced. Include protein-rich foods in your diet and you will achieve your training results faster.