Vareniki – Ukrainian dumplings with blueberries
Ukrainian ones don’t always have to be stuffed with meat. Here comes a light and fruity variant. The blueberries, with their intense sweet and sour taste, go perfectly with the thin, delicate dough. They taste best with a little butter, a dollop of sour cream or honey.
- 400 g flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 200-250 ml water
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g blueberries
- 50-75 g sugar
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, add salt and mix.
- Boil and pour in the water.
- Add the vegetable oil, stir well and knead into a smooth and elastic dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball, using a towel cover and leave to rise for approx. 30-40 minutes.
- Select the blueberries, wash them and dab them dry on kitchen paper.
- Then roll out the dough thinly with the rolling pin.
- Use the upside-down glass to cut out circles with a diameter of approx. 10-12 cm .
- Place 2-3 teaspoons of blueberries in the center of each circle of dough.
- Sprinkle a little sugar on top, leaving the edges untouched.
- Then fold the circle of dough in half and press the edges firmly together.
- Spot with water Fill and bring to the boil.
- Add Wareniki to the boiling water and simmer for approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Then place the dumplings on a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Sweet Wareniki with a little butter, a dollop of sour cream or with Hon ig enjoy.
- flour sieve
- rolling pin
- glass 10-12 cm diameter