Tender Ossetian potato cake with cheese and yeast dough
Portions: 6 persons | Preparation: 145 minutes
This tasty pie with cheese and potato filling is a traditional dish of Ossetian cuisine. Preparing the cake is quite simple. First prepare a yeast dough, then cook mashed potatoes for the filling and mash evenly with the grated cheese. Once you’ve tasted the delicate Ossetian cake filled with cheese and potatoes with a thin, crispy crust, you’ll never forget the taste.
Please review recipe:
Ø 5 out of 5 stars ( 1 votes )
- 5 g dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300 ml water or milk
- 400-450 g flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 350 g potatoes
- 250 g Sulguni cheese, or other brine cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Butter, to taste
- Measuring cup
- Flour sieve
- Breaker or food processor with dough hook
- Stepping pot
- Vegetable peeler
- Wooden spoon
- Pure blender
- Pasting brush
Prepare the dough
- To start the yeast dough, dissolve the yeast in a bowl in lukewarm milk or water with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of flour, mix well with a whisk.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and affix a leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes (definitely no longer!).
- For the dough, add salt and 1/3 of the sifted flour to the dough base in the bowl and mix well.
- Then add 1/3 of the flour and mix well again.
- Add the oil and the remaining flour.
- Use the dough hooks of a stand mixer or food processor to knead into an elastic, soft dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl .
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
Prepare the filling
- Peel the potatoes, place in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Boil the potatoes for about 25 minutes until soft.
- The decoction except for 2-3 Pour off the tablespoon.
- Grate the cheese on a coarse grater.
- Add to the potatoes and mix.
- Use a hand blender to process everything to an even purée.
- Salt and pepper the purée to taste and leave to cool.
- Open the oven Preheat to 250°C.
- Dust a work surface with some flour.
- Gently knead the dough and divide into 3 pieces and form into balls.
- Use your hands to flatten a ball on the work surface.
- 1 Place /3 of the filling in the middle of the flatbread.
- Pinch the edges together over the filling.
- Use your hands to form the resulting ball back into a flatbread.
- Proceed in the same way with the remaining 2 balls of dough and the filling.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the 3 cakes next to each other on the tray.
- Prick the surface lightly with a fork so that the steam can escape while baking.
- In the preheated oven on the middle shelf for about 15 minutes until golden brown to bake.
- Remove the baking sheet with the potato cake from the oven.
- Grush the cake with melted butter.
- Leave the potato cake to cool on a wire rack and enjoy.
If you like, you can refine the filling with fresh, chopped herbs and chopped walnuts.