Swedish-style pickled herring with onions and wine vinegar
Portions: 5 persons | Preparation: 20 minutes
In this recipe, it is pickled with onions and wine vinegar. The fish is first salted and then marinated with spices, lemon and onions. It requires little effort and the extraordinarily good taste is solely due to the many spices.
Please review recipe:
- 1200 ml water
- 75 g salt
- 450 g herring fillet
- 50 g sugar
- 480 ml wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp allspice
- 3 cloves
- 3 bay leaf
- 1 onion, red
- 1 lemon
- 960ml of water into a saucepan.
- Add the salt and boil for a few minutes until all the salt crystals dissolve.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the water to cool to room temperature.
- Place the herring in a glass and cover with brine .
- Close the lid and leave to stand in the fridge for 12 – 24 hours.
- Then boil the remaining water in a saucepan with the sugar, vinegar, mustard, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf.
- Heat for 5 minutes, then allow to cool.
- Take the herring out of the fridge.
- Pour off the brine and take the herring out of the jar.
- Peel the onion and cut into rings.
- Cut the lemon into thin slices.
- Put the herring, onions and lemon in the jar.
- Marinade on top water.
- Close the jar with the lid and leave to marinate in the fridge for about 24 hours.
- Remove the pickled herring from the jar and serve as a starter.
Pickled herring can be added to salads. Herring also tastes delicious with boiled and onions.
- cutting board