Stewed sauerkraut with apple and onions
Portions: 4 persons | Preparation: 45 minutes
Steamed sauerkraut is very healthy, easily digestible and provides a lot of fiber and tastes delicious. The sauerkraut tastes good with pork, game, knuckle and bratwurst. It also tastes great with mashed potatoes. Steaming sauerkraut is easy and simple and can be prepared by novice cooks.
Please review recipe:
- 700-800 g sauerkraut
- 1 onion
- 1 apple
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 180 ml vegetable stock
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- 3 juniper berries, to taste
- 1 tsp cumin, to taste
- Drain the liquid from the sauerkraut well through a sieve.
- Peel the onion, cut into half rings or cubes.
- Core the apple and cut into pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan at medium temperature.
- The onions Roast in it for approx. 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Add the sauerkraut, sauté for 3-5 minutes while stirring.
- Add the apple, juniper berries or caraway seeds to the cabbage.
- Stir everything, deglaze with the vegetable stock.
- All the in Bring to the boil for approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat.
- Let the sauerkraut steam for approx. 25-35 minutes.
- Mix the starch with water in a small bowl.
- Add to the sauerkraut in a thin stream while stirring .
- Let the sauerkraut simmer gently for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and a little sugar.
- Serve the steamed sauerkraut as an accompaniment to meat dishes or as a filling for dough dishes.
- The vegetable broth can be replaced with meat broth, dry white wine, apple juice or water.
- Since bags and cans of sauerkraut have a high acid content, it makes sense to rinse the cabbage briefly with cold water before cooking.
- kitchen scales
- measuring cup
- cutting board
- wooden spoon
- frying pan