Spicy Christmas cookies with honey, ginger and rum frosting
They taste incredibly spicy and aromatic with ginger, cloves, pepper, honey and cocoa. The frosting has a wonderful rum flavor with cinnamon.
Rating: Ø 5 ( 2 votes )
- 85g butter, softened
- 90g brown sugar
- 100g honey, runny
- 1 egg yolk
- 235g flour + for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¹⁄₂ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ginger , ground
- ¹⁄₂ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¹⁄₄ tsp pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 15g butter
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tsp water
- Mix the softened butter, sugar and honey in a bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and stir again.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- The dough Knead into a ball on a floured work surface.
- Place the ball of dough, wrapped in cling film, in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
- Flour the work surface.
- Roll out the dough on the work surface to a thickness of approx. 5mm.
- Use any biscuit cutters you like.
- Put the biscuits on the trays.
- Bake the Christmas biscuits for approx. 7-10 minutes.
- Let the biscuits cool down.
- Sieve the icing sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter, rum and warm water.
- Stir until smooth with a whisk.
- Spread the frosting over the Christmas cookies and allow to set.
The icing can also be mixed with lemon juice instead of rum.
- food processor
- rolling pin
- cookie cutters
- kitchen brush