Rassolnik soup with pickles, fish, vegetables and pearl barley
Portions: 6 persons | Preparation: 100 minutes
Soup with pickles is typical of Russian cuisine. With pearl barley, vegetables, potatoes and fish, it tastes very filling and appetizing, while the slight acidity and intense fish flavor add an interesting flavor note.
Please review recipe:
- 80g pearl barley
- 1500ml water
- 4-5 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2-3 pickles
- 1 carrot
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200-250g canned fish, in its own juice
- 100- 150 ml brine
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- herbs, to taste
- Rinse the pearl barley and pour over the water.
- Leave the barley to stand for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Drain off the water and rinse again.
- Place in the saucepan and cover with water.
- Approx. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Peel all the vegetables.
- In another saucepan, bring 1500 ml of water to the boil.
- Add the potatoes cut into pieces and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion.
- Chop the gherkins into slightly larger pieces.
- Roughly grate the carrot.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cucumbers to the sautéed vegetables, add a little water and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the contents of the pan, pearl barley and canned fish to the soup with the potatoes.
- Add the brine, salt and pepper.
- Cook the soup for a further 10 minutes and then sprinkle with the herbs.
- Rassolnik Leave covered for 20-25 minutes and then serve immediately.
More or less brine can be used depending on taste.
- frying pan
- cutting board