Make your own gyros pita with tzatziki and fries
Portions: 4 persons | Preparation: 45 minutes
Gyros Pita – The classic among Greek meat dishes. The Greek gyros is served on a warm pita with tzatziki and lots of garlic. This recipe is perfect and easy to make at home!
Please review recipe:
Ø 5 out of 5 stars ( 3 votes )
- 500 g pork, neck
- 500 g potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 tomato
- 4 pita breads
- ½ tsp zira
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 100 ml olive oil
- Pepper, to taste
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cucumber
- 200 g plain yoghurt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 stalks parsley
- 3-4 sprigs of dill
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- In a mortar and pestle, grind the zira, coriander, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Add about 100 ml olive oil and mix the spices well.
- Then leave the mixture to stand so that all the spices get as much oil as possible get off.
- While the seasonings are steeping, slice the meat.
- Then cut into long strips.
- Place the meat in a deep bowl, pour in the oil and the prepared seasonings, and mix well so that the seasonings of each cut of meat cover all sides.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into long sticks in the shape of chips.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the potatoes for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt the potatoes at the end of the cooking time.
- Give a final stir to evenly distribute the salt and remove the potatoes from the heat.
- Peel the onions and cut in half rings.
- Cut the tomato in half and the stalks Remove bite.
- Slice each half.
- Fry half onion rings in a pan with a little vegetable oil.
- Once they have softened a bit, add the meat and sauté for 10 minutes.
- It is very important that Avoid overcooking the meat to keep it juicy inside.
- Heat the pitas in a pan for 1 minute on each side.
- Peel the cucumber with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut lengthwise into two equal parts.
- Use a teaspoon to scrape out the watery interior of the cucumber along with the seeds.
- Rub the cucumber halves on a coarse grater.
- Place the grated cucumber in a sieve in a bowl to allow excess cucumber juice to drain.
- Insert the flesh of the cucumber Season with a little salt and stir.
- Squeeze out the excess juice.
- Let the juice drip off in a colander.
- Put the plain yoghurt in a bowl.
- Press the garlic into the yoghurt.
- Add the cucumber flesh and squeeze out the juice should come out.
- Season with salt.
- Add freshly ground pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Finely chop the parsley and dill.
- Add the herbs to the tzatziki and stir.
- When the consistency of the tzatziki If they seem too thin, they can be made a little thicker by adding a little sour cream.
- Dress up the pitas with gyros, tzatziki and tomatoes and serve with homemade fries.
- cutting board