Homemade rollmops with herring, white wine and spices
Portions: 5 persons | Preparation: 740 minutes
These hearty pickled Rollmops herring rolls are very popular in Germany and other European countries. Most buy it from the grocery store, although it’s very easy to make at home. The marinade is ready in just 5 minutes, the fish only needs to sit in it for a while. The gherkins give the snack a flavor and really bring out the flavor of the fish.
Please review recipe:
Ø 4.6 out of 5 stars ( 7 votes )
- 6 herring
- 120 ml white wine vinegar
- 240-270 ml white wine, dry
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp juniper berries
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion
- ½ – 1 tsp dill, dried
- 6 gherkins
- cutting board
- Cut the herring lengthways at the bottom and unfold. Remove the middle bone with the tail end.
- Rinse the herrings well.
- Peel the onion and carrot.
- Chop the carrots, not too roughly.
- Cut the onion into rings.
- Vinegar, wine, carrots, peppercorns, bay leaves, juniper, thyme , sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring the whole thing to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Put the herring in a bowl, add the onion rings and dill.
- Douse with the hot marinade and allow to cool completely.
- Halve the gherkins and wrap them in the herring.
- Secure the rolls with toothpicks and put them back in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with a lid.
- Place the roll mops in the fridge for 12 – 14 hours to steep.