Hearty beef stew with vegetables, mushrooms and apples
Portions: 6 persons | Preparation: 120 minutes
There is nothing better than a hot one after harvest time! Here’s a recipe with beef, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, celery, zucchini, peppers, and apples. The latter gives the hearty and filling stew a slight acidity that perfectly complements the flavor of the beef and vegetables.
Please review recipe:
- 3-4 sticks of celery
- 400 g mushrooms
- 6-7 potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 courgettes, small
- 2-3 peppers
- 2 apples
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 200 ml apple juice
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Rinse the beef, pat dry and cut into large pieces.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Wash and finely dice the celery stalks.
- Cut the mushrooms into small slices.
- Peel the potatoes and sweet potatoes and cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Wash, deseed and roughly dice the courgettes, peppers and apples.
- Wash the tomatoes and chop them finely.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- First, sear the beef for about 5-6 minutes.
- Then add onions and celery and add the mushrooms.
- Stir everything and sauté for another 7-8 minutes.
- Then add the remaining vegetables and apples to the saucepan.
- Pour in the hot vegetable stock and apple juice.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme and stir .
- The broth should cover the contents; if it’s not enough, add a little broth or water to the saucepan.
- Then bring everything to a boil.
- Finally, cover and let the beef stew simmer over low heat for about 60-80 minutes.
For variations and other flavors, squash or carrots can be substituted for the sweet potatoes.
- cutting board
- mixing spoon