Greek Melomakarona Christmas Cookies with walnuts
Portions: 12 persons | Preparation: 65 minutes
Melomakarona is a Greek that cannot be missed at Christmas. The cookies are flavorful and drenched in honey syrup, and the nuts add an even more interesting flavor to the pastry. The finished melomakarona can be sprinkled not only with nuts, but also with ground cinnamon and cloves.
Please review recipe:
- 200 g margarine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, ground
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp honey
- lemon, juice
- Mix the margarine and sugar in a food processor until fluffy.
- Add the olive oil, cinnamon and the grated lemon zest and mix vigorously.
- Knead with the flour to form a firm dough.
- Form the dough into finger-thick rolls, 5-6 of them Cut pieces mm thick.
- Shape these pieces into round discs.
- Grease the baking paper with a little butter or margarine.
- Place the discs on top with a little space between them.
- Melomakarona in the oven at 180° C for approx. 15 – 20 minutes bake.
- For the syrup, pour the water into a small saucepan.
- Stir in the sugar and bring to the boil.
- Remove the sugar water from the heat, add the honey and lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Finish the cookies Remove from the oven, allow to cool and then dip into the syrup.
- Then let the Melomakarona biscuits rest a little.
- Sprinkle the Christmas biscuits with coarsely ground walnuts.
- food processor
- parchment paper