Galette Bretonne – buckwheat pancakes with egg and ham
Portions: 4 persons | Preparation: 120 minutes
Galette Bretonne are pancakes made from buckwheat flour with ham, cheese and egg, which are a traditional dish from north-western France, Breton. Galette is a hearty pancake made with buckwheat flour, water and salt, and topped with ham, grated cheese and egg. In this recipe, an egg is added to the batter, giving the pancake a golden brown color. In contrast to the pancake, the galette bretonne is only baked on one side. This creates a nice contrast between the crispy outside and a soft inside. The Galette Bretonne smells great of butter, because of the buckwheat it tastes slightly nutty and is incredibly delicious.
Please review recipe:
Ø 5 out of 5 stars ( 17 votes )
- 200 g buckwheat flour
- 400 ml water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g butter
- 4 slices of ham
- 80-100 g cheese
- Measuring cup
- Kitchen scale
- Bowl with lid
- Cutting board
- Pasting brush
- Frying pan
- Sieve the buckwheat flour into a bowl.
- Add an egg and salt.
- Mix with a whisk.
- Stir in the water little by little until you get a smooth, runny batter.
- Cover the batter and let it rest in for 1 hour put in the fridge.
- Then let it sit for a further 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In the meantime, grate the cheese on a fine grater.
- Cut the ham into small pieces.
- Stir the dough again.
- If the dough is too thick, stir in some water.
- Heat a frying pan and grease generously with butter.
- Put some batter in the pan.
- Distribute it evenly in the pan by swirling motions.
- Cook the pancake over high heat for about 30 seconds until the batter is set and the bottom is golden brown.
- Reduce the heat and crack an egg into the center of the pancake.
- Gently spread the egg white over the top with a spatula.
- The yolk should remain whole.
- Bacon on top egg white.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Carefully fold the sides of the galette over the filling.
- Leave the yolk open.
- Fry the galette until the yolk is set and the cheese is melted.
- The Brush the galette with melted butter.
- Remove from the pan and arrange on a plate.
- Serve immediately or keep warm.
- Fry the remaining galettes and eggs.
- Galette Bretonne garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.