Empanadas – spicy dumplings with meat and vegetables
Portions: 6 persons | Preparation: 125 minutes
These small dumplings made from crispy shortcrust pastry are very popular in Latin America. There are many variations on empanadas. In this recipe, empanadas are prepared with ground beef, potatoes and vegetables. The dumplings are best served with hot salsa, chimichurri and similar hot sauces.
Please review recipe:
- 300 g flour
- salt, to taste
- 120 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 80 ml water + 1 tbsp
- 1-2 potatoes
- minced meat, to taste
- ½ onion
- 1 carrot, small
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp dried chili pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- Black pepper, to taste
- 180ml beef stock
- 70g green peas , frozen
- Sieve the flour and mix with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes.
- Whisk an egg in a bowl with a fork.
- Grive the flour with the butter.
- Add the egg and 80 ml of ice water.
- Knead the whole thing into a soft and smooth dough.
- Then roll into a ball, cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the vegetables.
- Dice the potatoes into small cubes and place in Cook in boiling water for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, drain the vegetables in a colander.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot and celery.
- Chop the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and ground beef.
- Cook over high heat, stirring, for 8-10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, garlic, spices, salt and broth.
- Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes .
- Stir in the peas and sauté the filling for another 5-6 minutes until s the liquid has evaporated completely.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg and 1 tablespoon of water with a fork.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal portions.
- Each piece roll out into a thin round flatbread.
- Approx. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the cooled filling on one half of the dough.
- Grush the edges of the dough with the egg.
- Fold the dough flats in half and press the edges together with a fork.
- Place the dumplings on a baking sheet, with the Brush with the remaining egg.
- Then bake the empanadas in the oven for approx. 35-40 minutes until golden.
- Remove the empanadas from the oven and serve immediately.
- rolling pin
- frying pan
- cutting board
- cling film
- baking sheet