Crispy apple strudel made from filo pastry with raisins and nuts
Portions: 6 persons | Preparation: 100 minutes
As a crispy-sweet dessert, as a snack after a hike or bike ride or simply for coffee after lunch – a juicy apple strudel with filo pastry is conjured up in no time and is perfect for the autumn season.
Please review recipe:
- 2 Green apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1 Red apple, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 10 sheets of filo pastry, frozen, thawed
- ½ cup sultanas
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 8 tbsp butter, melted, warm
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- ¼ cup white sugar, +2 tablespoons
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- icing sugar, for serving
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- vanilla extract, to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sultanas, cover the saucepan and remove from the heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the breadcrumbs and stir-fry, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the breadcrumbs to a large bowl.
- Dry the sultanas and add to the bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Add the apples, nuts, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt to the sultanas and mix well.
- Place a 20″x16″ sheet of baking paper on a work surface, long side facing you.
- A sheet of filo -Place dough short edge to left on parchment paper.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Place another sheet of dough slightly to the right, overlapping the first sheet by 1 inch.
- Again with melted butter Brush on.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- Place the third sheet on top of the first and overlap the second and so on.
- Place all the sheets on top of each other and continue in the same way.
- Place the apple filling on the filo pastry keep the edges free.
- Roll up the empty sides first, then the bottom edge and then the whole thing into a strudel.
- Carefully roll the apple strudel, overlapping side down, onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the strudel with the remaining butter Brush and sprinkle with sugar.
- Make indentations on the top of the strudel about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) apart with a knife to prevent the dough from puffing up during baking.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven.
- The apple strudel Bake for about 15 minutes until golden.
- Remove the apple strudel from the oven and let cool for about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cooled apple strudel with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Optionally, the apple strudel can be served with a sauce. While the strudel is baking, you can prepare the sauce. Whisk together the sour cream and cream and let stand at room temperature for about 1.5 hours. Before serving, stir in the sugar, vanilla and salt and the sauce is ready!
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing spoon
- pasting brush