Covered berry cake with cranberries, apple and apricots
Portions: 6 persons | Preparation: 110 minutes
The red sour berries with a hint of bitterness were once used in medicinal medicine and can be used not only in jams but also in delicious cakes. If you are looking for something different, you should definitely try this cake with shortcrust pastry and a filling of cranberries, apples and dried apricots.
Please review recipe:
Ø 5 out of 5 stars ( 2 votes )
- 350 g cranberries
- 7 tbsp sugar
- 70 ml water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 apple
- 100 g dried apricots
- 1 egg
- 50 g butter
- 250 ml kefir
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 250-300 g flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Cooking pot
- cutting board
- cling film
- cake pan
- baking paper
- rolling pin
Prepare the filling
- Select the cranberries and place in a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and 3 tablespoons of water and mix.
- Let the contents simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then mash the berries.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 50 ml cold water and add to the berries.
- Let simmer for a further 2-3 minutes while stirring, until the mixture has thickened a little.
- Then press the berries through a sieve and let them cool.
- Peel the apple and dice.
- Dice the apricots as well.
Prepare the dough
- Whisk the egg with a fork in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Heat the kefir a little.
- Half the egg mixture with the butter, Mix the kefir, salt and sugar.
- Gradually sift in the flour and baking powder, mix and knead into a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film.
- Approx. Leave to rest in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a cake baking tin with baking paper.
- Separate ⅔ of the dough and roll out thinly with the rolling pin.
- Carefully place the rolled out dough in the cake baking tin, Press lightly on the base and edges and cut off any excess.
- Spread the strained berries, apples and apricots on the dough.
- Sprinkle the filling with sugar if you like.
- Roll out the remaining dough thinly and into long narrow ones Cut strips.
- Then weave a latticework onto the fruit filling and press down the edges with a fork.
- Finally brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake the berry cake in the oven at 180° C for approx. 30-40 minutes .