Caldeirada – Portuguese fish stew with potatoes
Portions: 4 persons | Preparation: 50 minutes
This tasty one with potatoes can be prepared with different types of fish and seafood. Traditionally, this stew is served with crispy garlic croutons and fresh herbs. Aromatic, tasty and filling, Caldeirada is the perfect meal for all fish lovers.
Please review recipe:
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tomatoes
- 450 g potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 60 ml white wine, dry
- 1 l fish stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp Paprika, smoked
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- 1500 g fish fillet
- Peel the onion, garlic and potatoes.
- Chop the tomatoes, onion and garlic into small cubes.
- Chop the potatoes into large cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Onion and garlic in it for 5-6 minutes sauté until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for a further 4 minutes.
- Pour the white wine over the vegetables.
- Stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Broth, spices, salt, thyme leaves and the potatoes Add.
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- Cook the stew under a lid for 15 minutes.
- Cut the fish into large cubes.
- Add to the saucepan with the vegetables.
- Cook the fish stew over high heat for 3-4 minutes .
- Seafood can also be added to the stew if desired.
- Crab, scallops or prawns work well.
- Serve the fish stew immediately warm with bread.
Cod, haddock, salmon, sea bass, other fish species or a mixture of these can be used.
- cutting board