Boiled pork knuckle with kvass and greens
Portions: 4 persons | Preparation: 175 minutes
The meat is pre-cooked in kvass, a drink that gives it a more intense flavor. Long cooking with greens and spices will make it softer and tastier. Then baked in the oven, it becomes tender and juicy. Incredibly aromatic, intensely flavored and very tasty, everyone should try this recipe.
Please review recipe:
Ø 5 out of 5 stars ( 2 votes )
- 1200 g knuckle
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1½ tbsp salt
- 8-10 peppercorns, black
- 2 l kvass, dark
- 1 l water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp Chmeli-suneli
- cutting board
- tin foil
- baking sheet
- Rinse the knuckle under running water and pat dry.
- Peel the garlic and cut into small pieces.
- Cut the knuckle with the tip of a knife and stuff with the garlic.
- Peel the vegetables, quarter the onions.
- Place the meat in a saucepan.
- Add onions, whole carrots, bay leaves, salt, peppercorns and Khmeli Suneli.
- Pour in kvass and water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Close the saucepan and simmer for an hour and a half.
- Honey, oil and soy sauce in in a bowl.
- Take the knuckle out of the broth and spread the sauce on all sides.
- Then wrap in foil and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 60-80 minutes.
- Then carefully open the foil and bake the knuckle of pork for another 10 minutes.
- Then remove, serve with vegetables or a salad.
Cooking time can vary slightly depending on the size of the knuckle and should therefore be adjusted.