Baked Georgian khachapuri cheese bread made from yeast dough
Portions: 10 persons | Preparation: 190 minutes
Khachapuri is a specialty of Georgian cuisine. Khachapuris are cheese breads made from yeast dough, they become very soft and are best served hot. Quite complex to prepare, but worth trying out this recipe.
Please review recipe:
Ø 5 out of 5 stars ( 18 votes )
- 630 ml water
- 20 g salt
- 50 g sugar
- 11 g dry yeast
- 1 kg flour
- 1 kg suluguni, grated, or mozzarella
- butter, to taste
- 10 egg yolks
- rolling pin
- pastry card
- baking paper
- ⅓ of the water and stir in the salt, sugar and yeast.
- Cover with a towel and leave in a warm place for 10-15 minutes.
- A large cap of foam will appear on the yeast mixture.
- Mix the flour into a Put in the bowl and add the yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough while gradually pouring in the remaining water.
- Cover the bowl with a towel dipped in hot water.
- Leave the dough in a warm place for 1-2 hours, until the dough has doubled in size.
- It is best to place it near a heater or let it rise in an oven preheated to 50 °C.
- Knead the dough again.
- Cover with a towel and leave in a warm place until the dough rises a second time.
- Divide the dough into equal pieces of approx. 150 g.
- Roll out each piece of dough with a rolling pin into a rectangle. It is best to roll from the center to the edges.
- Grate the cheese on a coarse grater. For a portion of dough weighing 150 g, you need 150 g of cheese.
- For the edges, sprinkle some suluguni or mozzarella along the wide sides.
- Wrap both sides so that the filling is hidden.
- Continue to turn both sides until they almost meet.
- There should be a small free strip between them.
- Press the two narrow sides of the dough firmly together with your fingers.
- Keep both short sides pressed and carefully pull the two long sides outwards so that it looks like some kind of boat.
- Stuff the boats with grated cheese and place on an oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake khachapuris in an oven preheated to 180ºC for about 25 minutes.
- Before To serve, place a knob of butter and raw egg yolk in the center of each khachapuri.
- Tear off the sides of the khachapuri and dip them in the egg yolk and melted cheese.
Suluguni is a classic for khachapuri. You can also use mozzarella and add a little salt if you like.